The Newark New Jersey Star Ledger reported that the Florida home of Canadiens Hall of Famer Jacques Lemaire burned to the ground two weeks ago.  The fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.  Lemaire and his wife Mychele had been in the house only 24 hours before the fire started.  From the Star Ledger report:

“They called us and said, ‘Your home is on fire.’ It burned all the way down. They can only keep the four walls,” Lemaire told The Newark Star-Ledger..

Most of the items in the home either burned or melted, Lemaire said. He had some hockey sweaters, skates and other souvenirs which were saved, but damaged.

“They’ll all have to be cleaned,” he said. “The smoke got everything.”

Furniture can be replaced, but it is not so easy when it comes to peace of mind.

“You go to bed at night and think about this,” Lemaire said. “You have a hard time sleeping.”

Naturally, Lemaire is upset about the fire. Mychele even moreso.

“It was tough for her,” he said. “If we had still been there and I saw it, maybe I could have stopped it. Now it’s a matter of starting over with the insurance and trying to solve the problem of what happened. I have to wait a year to rebuild. We’ll get over it. But this is the first time for something like this.”