UPDATE – Hockey Canada has now confirmed that Subban has been added to the team’s roster.  He will arrive in Stockholm on Tuesday morning on the eve of the knockout portion of the World Championships.

«I haven’t received an invitation so far to go to the World Championship » -P.K. Subban – May 11 on the Canadiens Twitter Account  @CanadiensMTL

And, he won’t.  The question is, “Why not?”

How can one of the three finalists for the Norris Trophy be so obviously blacklisted by Hockey Canada?

subban team canadaWe have received nothing but deafening silence on the subject from Steve Yzerman and the committee that is charged with putting together Canada’s representative at the tournament.

Politics and personal animus and spite have always had their way in sports but this one has a particularly unsavoury tinge.   The omission is so obvious that one can only arrive at the conclusion that there has been some history  between Subban and Yzerman or members of his committee.  And if true, since Yzerman is in charge of putting together the 2014 Sochi Olympic team, is he prepared to carry it right through to next February’s Olympics?

Late last week Yzerman said he had no plans to add to his roster for the championship.  He subsequently invited Vancouver defenceman Dan Hamhuis, turning his back in a not-so-subtle way on Subban who was equally available.  Could it be that Yzerman honestly believed Hamhuis is a better defenceman than Subban.    How many voters do you think gave any thought to Hamhuis when they were filling out this year’s Norris Trophy ballot?

Last year Subban was invited to the World Tournament but suiffered a pre tournament knee injury in an exhibition game against Switzerland.  Team Canada doctors said he would need at least two weeks to recover.  At the time, Subban had no contract.  Rather than risk further  injury, Subban elected to come home for treatment.    Is this why Hockey Canada is holding a grudge?  And if so, they need to get over it.

The Team Canada defence that Subban is not good enough to crack includes Hamhuis plus Stephane Robidas and Brenden Dillon of the Dallas Stars, Calgary’s T.J. Brodie, Justin Schultz of the Oilers, Philadelphia’s Luke Schenn, Carolina’s Jay Harrison and Brian Campbell of the Florida Panthers.

The committee that made the Subban decision includes, along with Yzerman,  St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong, Detroit GM Ken Holland, Oiler president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe and Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson and vice-president of hockey operations Brad Pascall.   Boston GM Peter Chiarelli is an advisor.

So far, Tomas Plekanec, Alex Galchenyuk and Raphael Diaz have joined their respective tournament teams since the Canadiens were eliminated last Thursday.